In order for all computers in the same region to be connected, sharing data and information, then established computer networks. The computer network is formed of various types, either viewed from the network scale, the arrangement of network structures, data transmission media, or its functions. Based on its function, the network is grouped into two types, namely network client server and peer to peer network.
On the network client server, there is one computer that serves as the server that governs the system in the network, while the other computer acts as a client. Unlike the client network server, the peer to peer network does not have a central server that regulates clients. On a peer to peer network all computers act as servers for other computers, so all computers are also servers as well as clients.
File sharing applications on Internet networks such as Napster make the concept of peer to peer networking popular. With this network concept, users are allowed to share, search and download data from all computers connected in the network without going through intermediaries. More details about the understanding of peer to peer network you can see below:
Understanding Peer To Peer Network
As mentioned earlier, the peer to peer network is a computer network where each computer connected in the network is a client and a server. This network is formed without the centralized control of a dedicated server. Each computer has the same position. Data exchange between computers and the use of computer facilities connected in peer to peer network can be done directly. There is no controller and sharing of permissions.
Peer to peer networks are usually applied to small networks, 2 to 10 computers with one or two peripherals. The main purpose of using peer to peer networks is the use of programs, data or peripherals (e.g. printers) together. For security, each computer user is responsible for the security of their respective computers.
Peer To Peer Network characteristics
Characterisrik of peer to peer networks include:
- Don't have a computer that serves as a dedicated server.
- Every computer in the network is a server and also a client.
- Absence of control on network security settings
- Does not require equivalent computer specifications to be able to connect in one network
Peer to peer network has advantages and disadvantages if compared with Client server network, that is as follows:
Excess peer to peer network
- The cost required to implement it is much cheaper, because it does not require a high-spec server to serve all clients
- Every computer in the network acts as a client and also a server, so all computers have the same privileges.
- Continuity of network performance is not dependent on the server computer.
- It does not require any operating system or specific applications for the server.
- No special administrators need to take care of the network.
- Easy network installation.
- Between computers in the network can share the hardware, such as: hard disk, drive, fax/modem, printer, or any other facilities connected in one network.
- If one of the computers is problematic, it will not affect other networks or computers.
Peer to Peer topology shortage
- Low network security level, vulnerable to outside party attacks. For the absence of servers, the security in the network is determined by each user of each computer.
- Backups are also performed on each computer.
- Troubleshooting network is harder, because all computers are involved in network communication systems.
- Difficult to develop, because this network type is not suitable for use on a large scale
- Administration is not controlled.
- Network performance is lower because in addition to managing the use of network facilities, each computer should also manage its own work or application.
- Many file-sharing will affect computer performance.
To build a peer to peer network does not require a hub, as between computers can be directly connected using a UTP cable and an RJ45 connector. The connected computers do not necessarily have the same specs, just adding a network card to the computer, the computer can connect to each other.
On the Internet network, the use of peer to peer concept by various peer to peer service providers or known as ' file Sharing ' makes we can see files owned by others who are also connected to the Internet. And not only that, we can also download and Mengcopynya. This is a controversy, as illegal file sharing can cause many losses, such as the Naspster case (sharing music files) in 1999 years ago.
This article is about the understanding of this peer to peer network. Peer to peer network is a network where all computers connected in the network is a client and also a server, so it has the same rights and obligations.